You want me to do what??
Yoni steam, vaginal steam, v-steam…. call it what you will, but this is a common response when I suggest to clients that they try it. And almost to a woman, they return and tell me how great it was, how much they enjoyed it, how they’re looking forward to doing it again, how nourishing it felt, how healing, how feminine.
So, who should steam?
All women! Steaming is a useful tool for helping women to resolve menstrual pain, irregular menstruation, fibroids, relieving menopausal symptoms, yeast infections, tears and episiotomy scars. There’s a more complete list below. But even once you have resolved whatever problem you are working on, vaginal steaming can help maintain health. Not necessarily every cycle, but a couple of times a year, in spring and autumn. It’s always good to include in our health routines for the changing of winter to spring, then summer to autumn. Yoni steaming is a great opportunity to reconnect with your body.
What is steaming good for?
Yoni steaming is an integral part of traditional women’s medicine from all around the world. Although the knowledge survives in pockets, as the western model of healthcare became more prevalent the practice was lost to many of us. Thankfully, it is now being rediscovered and women around the world are rediscovering the benefits.
- Reduce menstrual pain
- Reduce bloating and exhaustion around menses
- Reduce dark blood at the start of end of menstruation
- Regulate irregular menstrual cycles
- Restart absent cycles
- Increase fertility, especially when combined with Mizan Therapy
- Speed healing and tone the reproductive system after birth
- Treat fibroids, ovarian cysts, uterine weakness, uterine prolapse and endometriosis
- Helps to repair perineal trauma after birth
- Helps with the healing of haemorrhoids and anal fissures
- Treat chronic vaginal/yeast infections
- Relieve symptoms of menopause
- Detoxify the womb and remove toxins from the body
- Release stored emotions and tap into the energy that is our creative potential
Does steaming really make a difference?
Yoni steaming is great for helping uterine and vaginal health. But it does so much more. Steaming helps to bring a connection to your body and to your womb. It’s an opportunity to celebrate and cherish your body, learn to enjoy your womb, be in awe of your menstrual cycle. Your womb is your engine house, seat of your creative, driving force. The more you tap into that power the stronger you will be, the more balanced your life. You will be able to re-connect with your sacred centre, listen to your intuition, learn to trust yourself.
How does steaming work?
A vaginal steam is done much like a facial steam, except you allows the steam from a pot with boiled water and herbs to reach the vagina. The tissues of the vagina are exceptionally porous and absorbent, and the warmth of the steam works to soften and open them.
When herbs are placed in hot water, their medicinal properties, including volatile oils, are released and carried to the surface of your skin, and to the inside of the vagina, where they are absorbed into the bloodstream and into to the uterus. The herbal steam increases circulation, thins mucus, and cleanses the entire reproductive system, allowing it to shed unnecessary membranes and build-up. The results are varied, and amazing.
What will I need?
If you get into steaming and do them regularly, you may decide to invest in a special stool. But for now, you’ll have everything you need already in your home. Basically, you are going to boil a handful of dried herbs in water, then take off your underwear and sit over the steam for 20-30 minutes.
Here are some ideas of how to do it:
- The easiest way when you start out is to place a metal basin with the herbs and hot water inside your toilet bowl, and sit as you normally would
- You could place two chairs side by side about six inches apart, putting the pot of herbs below. Depending on the height of the chairs, you may need to put the herbs on something higher so they’re closer. Sit with a cheek on each chair, with the basin directly below.
- You can place the bowl of herbs on the floor, kneel on one knee with the other foot on the floor. Carefully change knees if necessary.
Whichever method you use, be sure the steam is not so hot it can scald you. Use a blanket around your shoulders, and one from your waist to the floor to contain the steam. Stay wrapped up as you sit over the steaming herbs for about 20 to 30 minutes. Afterwards, keep wrapped up and go to bed for the night. You’ll awake feeling nourished, nurtured and pampered.
When should I steam?
Steaming is most effective done immediately before your bleed is due. So, if you think you will start your period on Saturday, spend Friday night steaming and resting. If your bleed starts unexpectedly, you can still steam as soon as you see blood. If you experience cycles that start with spotting, then a good steam will often get things going.
If you haven’t had a bleed, your cycles are irregular, of you feel that your bleed is there but not coming, then again, a steam may just start things off. You may need to steam on three alternate nights.
There are only a few rules:
- NEVER steam if you are pregnant
- If you are working on fertility, do not steam post-ovulation if you think there is any chance of pregnancy (i.e. you have had intercourse without contraception). In this case, wait until you are certain that your bleed is coming before doing a steam.
Where do I get the herbs?
Mizan Botantical Steam Clean is a lovely blend of herbs for relaxation and cleansing. The inclusion of rose petals not only makes it smell lovely (and the rest of the house) but aids a spiritual connection.